Senior Purchasing Consultant
This vacancy has now expired, and is not accepting any new applications.
- Job description
At ScottishPower we know that our people are our strongest asset, so we’re always looking for individuals whose energy, intelligence and passion can help us reach our goals.
At the heart of all business visions and activities are the people whose individual efforts and performance make it happen. We encourage our people to be proud of where they work, to share their ideas and to own their careers. We promote a safe working environment and push people to shape and progress their careers so that we grow our talent within the company.
We’re able to continue our recruitment drive because the demand for energy keeps growing. As well as this, our investment in our network and continual search for innovative ways to generate and distribute energy means we can offer a wide range of exciting careers in a stable industry.
Our Corporate business is responsible for providing support services for all other IBERDROLA Group /ScottishPower businesses. Purchasing is a Corporate function, with local teams embedded within each business. This vacancy will be based in Ochil House, Blantyre; however, the successful candidate may be required to support other businesses requirements where necessary.
A vacancy has arisen for a Senior Purchasing Consultant, reporting to up to 3 Category Managers within the Global Electrical Equipment Team, covering the general areas of Cable, Switchgear and Transformers.
The main purpose of the Senior Purchasing Consultant will be providing competitive advantage and cost reductions in the acquisition of goods, works and services through the professional management of purchasing and supply chain activities including the management of suppliers and the negotiation of contracts and associated commercial issues.
The Senior Purchasing Consultant will be required to work closely with the business and the IBERDROLA Engineering & Construction team (IEC) to support the development, construction or operation of infrastructure projects, assets, systems and services by understanding business drivers and market dynamics.
The role will involve assisting in the development of appropriate contracting strategies and negotiating one-off contracts and framework agreements that meet the business timescales and specifications; including leading and supporting the commercial aspects of contract negotiations, and managing commercial and contractual activities both pre-contract and where appropriate post contract to ensure delivery of best value whilst meeting Iberdrola Group Procurement processes.
The Senior Purchasing Consultant will be responsible for ensuring that SP’s requirements are sourced from suitable, ethical and sustainable sources of supply using appropriate contractual and commercial arrangements that fully consider the most appropriate risk allocation. This will involve: providing advice in relation to souring and purchasing activities to all stakeholders; liaising with colleagues in the UK and globally to ensure sharing of information and delivery of best value from a common supply chain; and where appropriate, work with colleagues to ensure that the commercial risks associated with the business requirements are identified and understood and reflected in the appropriate technical and commercial documentation.
- Supporting the management of commercial aspects for key areas of business activity.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of a procurement plan for a particular business area involving working with the business to establish future contracts to deliver the requirements of the business function.
- Developing and implementing contract strategies and associated tenderer selection in liaison with the business and SP Credit Risk whilst considering wider Iberdrola Procurement issues.
- Building a constructive partnership with business managers and other stakeholders.
- Working closely with colleagues within the procurement function across Iberdrola to exploit areas of global procurement synergies /cost reduction and to facilitate benchmarking and optimise negotiation strategies.
- Leading the tendering process and negotiation of commercial aspects of contracts to deliver the SP Business Plan objectives, involving the mitigation of commercial risk and ensuring the compatibility of technical and commercial elements; preparation and negotiation of commercial schedules and ensuring compatibility with technical schedules.
- Striving to achieve both cost reduction and the best conditions available in the market through competitive and transparent procurement processes.
- Preparing approval papers and leading the obtaining of authorisations for contracts, whilst ensuring that the proposed contract is acceptable to Control, Credit Risk, Insurance and Legal.
- Providing contractual support and advice to project managers in dealing with contractors and suppliers during the post-contract award phase to mitigate and resolve claims or contractor grievances.
- Represent the Company in meeting with stakeholders and third parties for specific issues related with the procurement function.
- Becoming the focal point and internal procurement expert for areas of specialisation within the procurement function.
- Identifying and recommending strategies for delivering improvements in value and where appropriate to address new technologies/new business activities.
- Maintaining strong long-term relationships with key supply chain organisations.
- Extending the supply chain by identifying and pre-qualifying potential new suppliers.
- Delivering a high level of corporate governance by ensuring compliance with the Iberdrola/ScottishPower procurement policies, processes and practices including the Iberdrola Group Ethics Code and anti-bribery requirements.
- Leading, motivating and directing other junior members of staff where directed.
- Knowledge of best practice procurement principles, practices and processes including both tactical and strategic procurement principles.
- An effective team worker; with some experience of working in a multi-functional project team desirable.
- Where appropriate to area of responsibility some experience of partnering, international sourcing (specifically off-shoring) and low cost economy sourcing desirable.
- Strong commercial contract and negotiation experience and experience of leading full or part of the contract negotiations in conclusion of contracts.
- Strong self-performance management and delivery focus with the ability to balance conflicting requirements of quality cost and time; make decisions in tight timescales; flexibility to react to changing needs; track record of delivery within agreed timescales.
- Good all round understanding of financial, commercial and business principles and risk mitigation practices plus sufficient knowledge of contract law to recognise any exposure and seek appropriate advice from the legal team when required.
- Strong written, numeracy and oral communication skills.
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively and persuade, challenge and build credibility with peer groups both internally and externally.
- Strong computer system skills.
- Knowledge of ScottishPower procurement policies, principles and processes desirable.
- Recent experience dealing with contracts of an equivalent value and complexity as role
- University degree or relevant equivalent experience; a degree or experience in a relevant technical area such as Electrical Engineering, is considered advantageous.
- Demonstrable track record in negotiating and closing high value contracts
- Grade: OL16
- Salary: From £34,200 per annum
- Location: Ochil House, Blantyre
- No of Vacancies: 1
- Contract Type: Permanent
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Recruiting Manager: Victoria Laka Astobiza / Neil Harkins
- Selection Method: Competency Based Interview
- Competencies: Achieving Results and Continuous Improvement, Communicating and Influencing, Customer Focus, Teamwork, Flexibility and Globalisation
This vacancy has now expired, and is not accepting any new applications.